Friday, May 21, 2010

J. Craig Venter

Here is something I had heard about a few years back, but when it actually happened I missed it, which is not surprising considering the how these things are now treated in the media.

Scientists at the J. Craig Venter Institute have created the world's first synthetic cell. What this means is that for the first time life has been created artificially, not from pre-existing DNA, but completely from scratch.




Does this finally destroy the "myth" of our creation as described in Genesis?

Here is a quote by St. Macarius the Great used in an earlier post: "You are created in image and likeness of God; therefore just as God is free and creates what he wants ... so you are free."

Some in the Catholic church have called this "playing God", which is, if I might say, another way of saying "anti-Christ".

Other than that, I'm not sure what to think. I would be happy to hear from others on how to interpret this.

No comments: